Friday, May 7, 2010

Happy Mother's Day

We have created days for just about everyone and enough manufactured holidays so it seems like there is always a reason to buy someone a card, flowers or even lunch. This week alone has featured National Teachers Day and Cinco de Mayo and Nurses Day is next Wednesday. Not to take anything away from them but the day that really counts is Mother’s Day which of course is this Sunday. Of all the days noted on the calendar as being somewhat special this is the one truly worthy of acknowledgment and celebration while for some it’s a time to reflect on what they have lost.

Think about it…when we were young we’d make a card in school or even a special present which we gave to Mom with a big smile on our face. Then as we got older it was time to scrape up a few bucks and buy flowers or candy, usually Dad had to help out because we never had enough money. The years go by and you get married and now inherit a Mother-in-Law in addition to your Mother and once you have children the day goes into a totally different level.

I’ve always considered myself lucky in having a Mom who I’m not only close too but consider a friend every bit as much as a Mother. Felice Williams is truly an amazing woman who walks to and from work five days a week, has been blessed with great health (she can’t remember the last time she took an aspirin) and loves to talk sports. A die-hard New York fan, she loves the Giants and roots for both the Mets & Yankees which bothers me a bit, and will watch golf on the weekends. I also have a wonderful relationship with my Mother-In-Law, Jill Viggiano who treats me like a son…she has three daughters so I know I’m a breath of fresh air for her.

Every bit as lucky this Sunday are my children who have a truly fantastic mother and while I know they realize it when you are younger you often take things for granted. Jane without question has been the backbone of our family and like in many families has two careers….one in education and the other at home. Both are full-time jobs and I do marvel at how she and other moms manage to get all the work done. But they do which is why Mother’s Day is so special and deserving of a spot on the calendar and a place in our hearts.

No comments: