Monday, August 23, 2010

"Love You To The Moon & Back"




Today will mark a first in the 13 years I’ve been airing this daily segment. The words I am about to read or not mine but rather those of my wife Jane. Late last week we experienced the joy and sadness I’m sure some of you have felt when sending your youngest child off to college. It was incredibly difficult for me but harder for my wife…you know that mother-daughter thing. So today I am just the voice…it’s
the word and feelings of my wife.

“No tears mom, I’m so happy and so ready. You and Daddy did an awesome job preparing me for today.” With those heartfelt words of advice from my 18 year old now college freshman daughter Alex, we said goodbye. I didn’t dare to turn and look back for fear that she would see the tears in my eyes that she so adamantly requested I not shed. Anyway, the ear to ear smile she no doubt had on her face was clear in my mind. So began my journey of letting go.



Kevin & I had made this trip to Penn State with Alex many times over the course of the 4 years that our son Brandon was a student there. Of course, I was a nervous parent of a first time college student then, but honestly, that apprehension was short-lived and the knot in my stomach dissipated by the time we got on the PA. Turnpike! Not so this time around. Ok, so the preparation was obviously different with Alex. We shopped almost non-stop for over a month in what became known as Operation Dorm Room for the perfect bedding, clothes and accessories. Brandon’s request on the other hand was simply: as long as it fits and is clean… it’s for me.

As July became August, we were both aware that our days to do all the fun stuff we cherished doing together were winding down. Manis, pedis, beach walks, shopping, lots of shopping we fit it all in. And Kevin, the saint that he is shook his head and gave us his blessing…. He knew how much this time with Alex meant to me. We joked about the quantity of essentials that HAD to fit in the van as Operation Dorm Room became Operation Shove It In. And we were off. My hope, like any mother, is that she stays safe, is happy and makes wise decisions…. These are gifts you can’t buy in any store. Love you to the moon and back, Al. Show Penn State what you’re made of!

No comments: