Thursday, August 5, 2010

Who's On First...What's In The Dugout

It’s really hard to imagine that after 31 years here I have to lobby support
for something but that’s exactly the position I found myself in Wednesday afternoon. As you may know our company has a softball team appropriately named “Faces for Radio” and tonight we’ll be playing the staff of the Lakewood BlueClaws at First Energy Park. I helped organize the effort in the spring to put together a team to play games for charity during the summer and originally pledged to try and play in some games. When we had a team several years ago I was the pitcher and not a bad one if I do say so myself. Anyway due to the many scheduling conflicts I have I was not able to attend any of our early-season practices or games. It got to the point where I felt it was not appropriate just to show up and play so I have pretty much kept my distance. The co-captains of our team are Joe Giglio and Mike Krenek, who host an afternoon sports show on 1160 WOBM AM
and by the way were pretty much hired by me and work under me.

Anyway last week I was approached by Ashly Emerson who is our Promotions Director and the General Manager of the softball team. She was concerned about our roster for tonight’s game against the BlueClaws staff because several players would be on vacation and Joe & Mike would not be available because they are broadcasting their show live from the New York Jets training camp in Cortland, New York. Ashly asked if I would play but having not thrown a softball in years I really didn’t think this would be a good time to make my season debut. However to show my support I volunteered to serve as Interim Manager while Joe & Mike were away and she quickly and enthusiastically accepted my offer.

That’s when all the trouble started as Mike approached me this week and questioned my “taking over” as manager as he had planned on giving that responsibility to first baseman Kaitlin Lannon, who serves as Executive Assistant to our President and CEO. Nothing against Kaitlin but when a 31-year veteran (and 9-time New Jersey Sportscaster of the Year) accepts an offer to help you don’t then push him aside. It seemed an agreement was reached late yesterday in which Kaitlin would be team captain and I would serve as manager but honestly I don’t know where things stand. I know one thing….I’m not happy about the lack of respect.

No comments: