Thursday, September 2, 2010

Falling Apart

I don’t need anyone to tell me I am falling apart but lately people have been telling me that anyway. Here’s the evidence:

Physically I’m a mess. My back has been bothering me for weeks; I have pain in my left heel and worse than both is I hurt my left knee a couple of weeks ago. I don’t remember doing anything that caused a pop and pain but all of a sudden my knee started hurting. I thought maybe I twisted it but it’s now more than two weeks and its getting worse. I have an appointment to see an orthopedic doctor on September 13th…the same doctor who performed arthroscopic surgery on my right knee a couple of years ago to repair a torn meniscus. I have this feeling I’m headed for another one which is no big deal except football season is starting and I don’t have time.

However it’s not the physical ailments that are telling me that my best days have long since past. I’ve been feeling very nostalgic lately and several of my Hometown View segments have resulted in people telling me I had them in tears. I think it all stems from having no children at home and this feeling that they really don’t need me anymore. My daughter has this habit of every time she’s about to ask for something first saying “I have a question.”
This would signal that the next words out of her mouth would deal with wanting permission to do something, money, or a favor of some kind. It got to the point where I would beg her to just ask and not say “I have a question.” Now that she’s at school I don’t get that on a daily basis and when it comes to my son…well he lives in Hoboken and works in New York
and is pretty self-sufficient, except my wife still buys most of his clothes.

Plus throw in the fact that Labor Day weekend is here which means summer is all but over and you have a sleep-deprived, overweight, overworked, overstressed 54-year old searching for something. I think they call it a miracle.

No comments: