Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Tuesday, September 21, 2010

So this is a big week for new and old TV shows as the new season of prime-time TV gets underway. In some cases we’ve been exposed to glitzy promos for weeks and it’s hard to determine which ones are worthy of at least a first look. Thank goodness for DVR because for much of this week I’ll be taping two shows at the same time. My philosophy is to then decide after a week or two which shows become weekly rituals and which are history.

I did enjoy the premiere of the HBO series “Boardwalk Empire” which stars the weird-looking Steve Buscemi as the kingpin of Atlantic City. The show is set in 1920 as prohibition becomes law and it’s a really well-down period piece that was actually filmed on a 300 yard boardwalk built in the old Brooklyn Naval Yards. The makers of “Boardwalk Empire” wanted to shoot the series in Asbury Park but it was not financially feasible which is unfortunate. However they did a really good job in making you feel like you might be in Atlantic City 90 years ago and I think the series will be a hit.
It’s got a little “Sopranos” to it and is very much an adult program with a solid cast of characters. Buscemi, who often plays strange and quirky roles, is quite convincing as AC’s Treasurer which is pretty much just a front for his illegal operations.

I also watched the first episode of “The Event” which was one of the most hyped shows coming into the fall and honestly when it was over I really didn’t have an opinion. I also didn’t have a good grip on what it’s all about but I’ll give it a couple of more looks. If that’s not enough I taped “Lone Star” and the new “Hawaii Five-O” which I’ll watch tonight while taping “Glee” and “Detroit 187.” Yeah I know….I lead a boring life.

On an unrelated note….Atlantic Physical Therapy Center will host their 5th Annual Golf Tournament at Colts Neck County Club on Tuesday, October 5th. All proceeds from the outing will be donated to both the James Stevenson Warnock Scholarship Fund and the Monmouth County Child Advocacy Center. For information call the Freehold office of Atlantic Physical Therapy at (732) 431-2883.

No comments: