Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Summer's Done

At 12:23 Monday afternoon I left the 2nd Avenue beach in Seaside Park knowing that it would probably be the final time I would feel sand between my toes on that beach until next year. As I approached the boardwalk I turned and look out onto a fairly crowded beach and paused because I realized that another summer had basically passed me by and we know all too well that you never know just how many more you’ll have.

For me and many others the “beach season” ended on Labor Day and it was a fitting end to one of the best summers ever when it comes to weather.
As a matter of fact yesterday earned a rare “10” from me as all the factors needed for perfection were present…..glorious sunshine, low humidity, breeze off the ocean, no flies, warm, clean water and low tide with a sand bar. It just does not get any better which made leaving all that more difficult. However as the saying goes “all good things must come to an end” and for me and many others Monday was it, even though the next few weeks just might be the very best of the summer.

What I will miss most is getting to the beach early in the morning when the sand is virtually untouched after being raked. There is something about making the first footprints in the morning as I search for my spot as I’m always looking for a front row view of the Atlantic Ocean. No matter how much stress there is in your life, drinking coffee and looking at the ocean with the only sounds coming from the waves and seagulls is therapeutic. I’m going to miss that.

I was first introduced to the 2nd Avenue Beach by my wife Jane in the summer of 1980 and we’ve been coming ever since. I’ve seen many of the same people summer after summer. I don’t know their names and rarely do we speak outside of exchanging a smile or nod of the head. I’ve watched families grow up on that beach just like my two children did. I’ve tried other streets which were less crowded but for some reason keep returning, even after they added parking pay stations right along the ocean this year which made things challenging. Having Surf Taco and the White Oak Market just down the street is convenient but the truth is the 2nd Avenue Beach is my summer home and I sure hope I’m able to come back next summer.

No comments: