Monday, October 11, 2010

Happy Columbus Day?

It’s Columbus Day…at least that’s what the calendar says. I’m not really sure if today is the day we celebrate Christopher Columbus discovery of the Americas, specifically the Bahamas or Italian-American heritage and culture. Regardless the second Monday of October is a federal holiday so I guess for many today is the end of a very nice three-day weekend.

My wife and I had not been to the movies in quite some time but we decided to go Saturday and there were several films we wanted to see. I sort of lobbied for
“Wall Street: Money Never Sleeps” and because the time worked well that’s what we saw. To be honest I was a bit disappointed…it was good but nothing like the first Wall Street movie 23 years earlier. Michael Douglass was solid as Gordon Gecko but there were times things moved just too slow. Anyway we did enjoy the coming attractions because there appear to be some terrific films coming out later this fall.

The fifth week of the NFL season concludes tonight with an interesting game here in New Jersey as the Jets host the Vikings. It’s made even more intriguing by the developing story involving Minnesota quarterback Brett Favre. The NFL is investigating allegations that when Favre played for the Jets two years ago he sent racy messages and lewd photos to a Jets games hostess he was trying to make a move on. I’ve heard the voicemails and seen the photos on the website Deadspin and if they are Favre he’s got some “splaining to do.”

By the way for the first time in 40 years no team made it through 4 games without a loss in the NFL.

It’s looking more and more like the worst-case scenario for Mets fans as the stars are all aligned for a Yankees-Phillies World Series. Not only did both teams sweep their first-round series but they will have well-rested pitching staffs and ideal rotations set up for the League Championship Series’ later this week.

When I was a teen-ager I remember going with my father to Delicious Orchards in Colts Neck for apple cider, apple donuts and pies. My wife and I took a ride there yesterday morning and it’s not the place I remember from years ago. You can still get cider, donuts and pies but wow it has grown with food and produce choices like you can’t believe.

No comments: