Monday, October 18, 2010

Thursday, October 14, 2010

The Asbury Park Press is out with their annual “Readers Choice” Best of Monmouth & Ocean counties listing which truthfully is nothing more than an advertising vehicle for the newspaper. I only mention this somewhat embarrassing supplement in today’s paper because 92.7 WOBM has once again been named The Best Radio Station in Ocean County. Of course we are grateful that listeners and readers voted for us but if you see today’s special section you’ll notice we are listed as WOMB 92.7 FM. Based on me mentioning this gaffe this morning and questioning the integrity of the entire concept we might not even crack the top three in 2011. I would also like to congratulate myself for being saluted as the “Best Sportscaster/Morning Show feature broadcaster” in Ocean County who writes with his right hand but throws with his left. You might have trouble finding this one in the paper but I think it’s in there with the other couple of hundred ridiculous declarations.

Of course October is Breast Cancer Awareness month and you will find pink ribbons just about everywhere. One of the month’s biggest events is Sunday’s
Making Strides Against Breast Cancer walk in Point Pleasant Beach and I will be attending for the first time ever. The event is close to home because my wife Jane is a breast cancer survivor and every year assembles a group of family, friends and co-workers from Manchester Township High School to walk under the name “Team Booberang.” They meet early for breakfast which is donated by New York Bagels in Point Pleasant Beach. My son decided he wanted to come home from Hoboken and walk with his mother so I’m going to witness what is always an emotional day filled with hope that one day there will be no reason to walk.
I myself can’t participate as I’m having knee surgery in a few weeks but I’m looking forward to Sunday. Making Strides walks across the country last year raised some $60 million for the American Cancer Society.

Just a reminder that the Toms River-Ocean County Chamber of Commerce will host a luncheon Monday featuring 3rd District Congressional candidates John Adler and John Runyan. The event at the Ramada Inn of Toms River will allow chamber members and others to meet and hear the two candidates as I will moderate a brief question and answer session. United Water and Millennium Radio are sponsoring the lunch meeting and for information and tickets you can call the Chamber office at (732) 349-0220.

No comments: