Monday, October 4, 2010

A Perfect Wedding

There is no single event more filled with promise and optimism then a wedding.
From the vows to the cutting of the cake it’s supposed to signify (let me now steal that often used quote) “the first day for the rest of your life.” Of course there was a time when this was true in the overwhelming number of cases…now it’s probably no better than a 50/50 proposition.

This past weekend my niece Cory got married in Philadelphia and I’d bet the house on the chances of her and Joe spending a lifetime together. She is the daughter of my wife’s sister and Jane has always been very close with her and was involved in some of the wedding plans. It’s not just that Cory & Joe have known each other for years, have very good careers, have lived together in a home they own and are in their late 20’s. Those are all positive factors but I’m betting on them for two very different reasons. The first has to do with the weather. It rained very hard until we arrived in Philly Friday afternoon for a family lunch as the weather broke just prior to that. From that point it was beautiful and Saturday was a picture-perfect day as they said their vows in the oldest church in Philadelphia. That’s where part #2 of this positive scenario comes into play as I was chosen to do a reading as part of the ceremony which I performed quite well. My son was also a reader and he was flawless while my daughter was a bridesmaid and did not trip once so that was pretty much perfect.

Actually the entire day was great as the reception was held at the Philadelphia Seaport Museum where we enjoyed the cocktail hour outside with a stunning view of the river. All of us had a great time and being able to celebrate such an important occasion with family was a blessing.

Heck it was such a good time that it didn’t bother me all that much to get constant text messages telling me how bad Penn State looked in their loss to Iowa. I know Johnny Walker Black didn’t care…that’s for sure.

No comments: