Friday, October 29, 2010

Wednesday, October 27, 2010

As parents we sometimes grunt and groan over the seemingly endless tasks that come with having children. It’s not that we’re complaining but it just seems like it never ends and rarely is there time to just sit back, especially during the course of the school year. By now you have probably heard me talk about not having any children at home as our youngest is a college freshman. For the first time in
what seems to be forever this fall we did not have a back-to-school night and there’s no athletic events to watch our son or daughter compete it. This morning as I was leaving I mentioned to my wife that this will be the first Halloween in 25 years that we did not have at least one child to dress up. I thought back to when the kids were small and we dictated their costumes. My son was a mouse, Donald Duck and a waiter…my daughter was a sunflower, cowgirl and a witch. Of course as they got older the costumes tended to be more of their doing and often last-minute projects. Often we were scrambling and the house was chaotic, trying to coordinate everything to also make sure someone was home for trick or treaters.

I’ll say it again and remind those of you who insist you can’t wait until the kids are gone and so is the chaos, stress, anxiety and sense that you can never relax.
The quiet is deafening and I for one miss the noise.

Raise your hand if you were aware that the pro basketball season began last night?
I don’t see too many out there. Maybe that’s because the three games that were played did not feature any of the local teams. However the Nets, Knicks and 76ers
all play their season-openers tonight so raise your hand if you’re going to watch a game featuring at least one of them. Let’s see…there’s a hand in Toms River, one in Brick and yes I think there’s one in Lacey. So glad the NBA season is here.

Nothing new on the Fox/Cablevision dispute except inflammatory rhetoric coming from both sides. Bottom line is if you have Cablevision and want to watch the World Series which begins tonight then it’s a friend’s house or your favorite sports bar. Thank goodness it’s not the Yankees and Phillies.

No comments: